Thursday, July 14, 2011

Conversations with the Elders ~ The Sign, It Comes in Threes

Conversations with the Elders

The Sign: It Comes in Threes
July 12, 2011

As I walk into the Elders’ cabin, I say, “Now, I come to share with you my experiences.  Although, I know you will not tell me what they mean; your feedback is appreciated.”

The Elder of Air chuckles.  He always brings that Brother Coyote-trickster energy to the table. 

Hearing his chuckling I respond, “Well, I want to believe your feedback will be appreciated.”

We all laugh.  However, my laughter stops as theirs continues.

I walk to the table to sit with the Elders.  The Elder of Air, the Elder of Water and the Elder of Fire are at the table.  As I get comfortable in my seat, the Elder of Earth walks in from the back yard.  I notice he is carrying a grapefruit-size rock in his left hand.  When you are with the Elders, you notice everything.  Clarity and the connection always come later.

I begin sharing my recent experience; “I took a Mantra Yoga workshop with Andreas Mamet several weeks ago.  The workshop description was intriguing. However, during introductions at the workshop, I shared that I wasn’t clear of my expectations and that I was open to the experience.”

“The workshop,” I continue, “was about using mantras and various meditation techniques.  For one of the activities, each participant was invited to sit and receive healing from a mantra, specifically and intuitively selected for us.  The other participants, guided by the Andreas, spoke the mantra standing around the recipient.  The mantra that Andreas intuitively selected for me was ‘Kyrie Eleison, Kristos Eleison,’ which translates to ‘Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy.’ ”

The Elder of Air chuckles, again.

I continue sharing, “I closed my eyes, ready to receive the blessing.  During the healing, I saw a vision.  In the vision, He was in the garden, kneeling as in prayer.  He looked up and at me, and then extended His hand to me.  I felt it was an invitation to join Him. I walked to Him and kneeled next to Him.  He shared with me the message of His prayer.  The group completed the mantra and I opened my eyes, returning to the circle."

The Elder of Earth places the grapefruit-size rock on the table in front of me.  I look at the rock, and then I look at the Elder of Earth.  He is smiling a smile that the Elders, and grandparents smile.

The Elder of Fire asks, “Are you going to share the other experience now?”

Reluctantly I answer, “Yes.”

The Elders laugh.

I start sharing the second experience.  “Last week, a friend invited me to attend a public program and receive a darshan from Amma, a spiritual teacher from India.  I accepted the invitation to have a darshan, or hug of unconditional love, from Amma.    Upon arriving at the place in Virginia, we received our numbered token.  We had to wait our turn.  When it was time our time to receive the darshan, I got in the row of chairs that lead to Amma.   The attendants ushered me, along with the others, from chair to chair.  This was the last leg of the journey to Amma.  I called it the walk of the chairs.”

I continue, “As I got closer to Amma, I closed my eyes for a moment.  In that moment, I saw the image of a cross. It was right in front of me.  I remembered seeing that cross before.  It was the cross resting above and behind my left shoulder on a photo of my aura.  I shuddered.  I then realized all of the energy in the room and wanted to pray to keep myself grounded.  As I closed my eyes to pray, I heard, ‘do not worry I got you.’  I asked who was speaking.  I sensed a response and I smiled.  It was then time for my darshan from Amma.”

The Elder of Air chuckles again.  The other Elders join him.  It is not fun to have the Elders laughing and not tell me what or why.  I know it’s connected to me.  Clarity and connection will come, hopefully soon.  

The Elder of Earth reaches from his seat and pats the rock that he placed in front of me.  He says, “It comes in threes.” 

I look at the rock, as if I was looking for a clue to confirm what I know he was saying.  I shook my head as I recall the time at a retreat center in the Bronx, New York.  This was a ministerial retreat; we were on the path to becoming ordained interfaith ministers.  I was sitting under a tree when this rock seemed to call out to me.  When I picked up the rock, I heard that quiet, yet powerful voice.  

Today, at the table with the Elders, this rock is much larger.  I did not want to touch it; what if the larger rock comes with a quiet, yet more powerful voice. 

The Elders laugh.  Again, they are reading my thoughts.

The Elder of Water stops laughing, looks me in the eyes and says, “You are invited to the garden, you see the cross again, and now there is a rock sitting in front of you.  Three signs, in addition to the many other signs you’ve received.  You are not thick of the head; willful, YES, thickheaded, NO.”

The Elder of Air chuckles once again.  I look at him.  He says, “It comes in threes.  Three is the magic number.  Need we say more?”

Trying to change the subject, I ask, “Is there any pie left?  I am a bit hungry.”

The Elder of Air says, “So you want pie with that denial.”

We all burst into laughter.  They never let me get away with anything.  I hope she cooked apple pie.


Copyright © 2011 Anthony L. Farmer All Rights Reserved

Conversations with the Elders is a weekly “e-newsletter" that shares my experiences and conversations with the Elders, as I call them.  We meet on the front porch of a log cabin high in the mountains.  They share their wisdom, life experiences, perspectives, stories, and love.  I listen, learn and share.
Please feel free to forward to others!  If you receive this from a friend and would like to receive Conversations with the Elders, sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/conversationswiththeelders/

"...listening to our elders is one of the most important things we can do. I've learned a lot and have had good teachers. You always learn a lot from your elders - its important to sit and listen to them."
 Herman “TJ” Laffoon

Reverend Anthony Farmer
www.revanthonyfarmer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment